Friday, July 22, 2011

Oslo Bombing

As some of you may know, earlier this afternoon (Friday) there were two explosions in downtown Oslo; one, near the office of the Prime Minister, Jens Stoltenberg, and the other near to the Norwegian Parliament.

I am relieved to say that myself and the other Peace Scholars are all safe and staying at the Blindern Dormitory until further notice. My friends Kelsey and Thato, who were meeting a friend for coffee in city center, said they greatly felt the explosion and saw people running away from the area soon after the explosions. Back at the dorm, a rattle sounding like a thunder clap was heard, but nothing was felt- we're about 15 minutes away by train.

Little is known as to what the explosions were, if they were accidental or plotted, and who/what is behind it. We do know that several are injured and two deaths have been reported.

I've found that BBC has so far had the most up-to-date and reliable news; follow here.

This weekend I will be away in the Jotunheimen mountains on a hike, but I will keep all posted as best as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment